Here’s a crash course in the silliness that is #yackfest. If you have useful information that’s not here, add it. If you have useless information that nobody needs, it’s not like anyone will care if you add that either.
A brief history
A good majority of the channel’s old hands used to be part of the TV Tropes forums. Most of them don’t really care for the place nowadays, but they may still ask newcomers if they’re affiliated with the site at all, even though IllFlower is constantly telling them not to. (Insert glare here.) Anyway, the fast-paced nature of channel activity is a continuation of that forum’s usual style. If you think #yackfest is busy for IRC, imagine having the same conversations at the same pace, except without automatic refreshing. I don’t know how these guys managed it, either.
Or, “an opportunity to anonymously wiki-libel your fellow channel denizens.”
Also see the official staff page.
- IllFlower (QDB): Overworked channel mom masquerading as an AI overlord, prone to rambling at length about things that don’t matter to such an extent that Calvin Coolidge would probably run screaming at the sight. Rivals Nitya in the ability to overanalyze inane bullshit.
- Talk to if you need to buy: Academic tomes that are probably secretly about anime.
- Before you ask why anything channel-related is named what it is, read this.
- Buttercupistiny (QDB): The other channel mom. Nuclear family structures be damned!
- Iverum (QDB): Very sardonic computer technician and possible future BOFH with highly speculated-on origins.
- ponicalica (QDB): Is adorable. Resident mathematician. Is rumored to secretly be Sollux Captor posing as a human male. Canonically shipped with Buttercup.
- zeroplusalpha (QDB): Musician, mostly of historically informed performances, or whatever songs are in his moe anime type.
- Talk to if you need to buy: Backstage access to an upcoming J-pop concert.
- Barcode (QDB): Disgruntled enthusiast of mecha, vehicles in general, and FPSs. Loves sci-fi, grittiness, and grimdark aesthetics. Chronic phonetic misspeller.
- Talk to if you need to buy: Time before he inevitably gets another headshot in on you.
- GMH (QDB): Has impeccable taste in anime, especially ones about girls in militaries.
- Miyu (QDB): Overworked. Likes sports and anime.1)2) Is the object of GMH’s affections.
- Noimporta (QDB): Resident… eh… has… uh… the time you waste reading this could be better spent watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
- AliceTensei (QDB): One of multiple Alices. Fan of JRPGs and the MegaTen series.
- AttObl: Just an ordinary gamer; nothing to see here. Loves PC gaming in general. Often goes by a name borrowed from a game he’s playing.
- BGTB2005 (QDB): Cars. Easy to confuse with Barcode.
- CentralAve (QDB): Adorable road nerd. Canonically shipped with Anonus, fellow transportation lover extraordinaire.
- Corvidium: Nitya’s lisp pal, also a communist. Rants incoherently about lotsa stuff. Aka Cosman246. Sometimes confused with Nitya. Last seen traveling to Bermuda.
- Fiora (QDB): Shoujo, JRPG, strategy, and otome game fangirl. Extended exposure may necessitate insulin. Engages Nitya, her putative genderswap, in jargony conversations of doom.
- Talk to if you need to buy: Plushies or elegant gothic lolita outfits.
- JackMackerel (QDB): We’re not sure why he’s still here, but we do enjoy kicking him.
- JBridge (QDB): Knows a lot about porn.
- Talk to if you need to buy: Porn.
- jseblan (QDB): Grumpy old (26) man. Likes video games and liking stuff other people like. Can code. Is Québécois.
- Juan (QDB): The channel’s local drug lord.3)
- Lin_Chong (QDB): Distracted by comics, genre novels, cooking, bad jokes, tokusatsu, and shiny things. Not unlike a curious octopus, if an octopus had fingers.
- Nitya (QDB): Topics that only three people care about, and often the other two are just his altnicks mistaken for separate people (or Fiora, but it’s yet to be determined whether she’s actually a separate entity or just part of the same hivemind). Russian words. Overanalyzing inane bullshit.
- Talk to if you need to buy: Lab equipment that may or may not have the ritual symbols of esoteric 9th-century religions inscribed on it.
- RocketDude (QDB): Cars, mechs and shooters. Don’t confuse him with Barcode, either. Tends to reference random things, such as YouTube Poop.
- Saladofstones (QDB): Knows everything there is to know about things that happened at least 40 to 50 years ago. Plays PC games, VN games, real-life games, and stuff. Proud listener to Hamas Dubstep. Number one provider of unfunny jokes since Nitya.
- Talk to if you need to buy: Nonfunctional Cold War weapons. He won’t sell you the functional ones.
- SpruceZeus (QDB): Gigantic fucking hipster. Excessively enthusiastic about caffeine, spooky things, and shitty puns. Prone to lurking, but will happily emerge from hiding to talk your ear off primarily but by no means solely about music and video games.
- taelor (QDB): Token Social Science Nerd. Insomniac. Player of Indie RPGs. Occasional (shitty) Lisp programmer. Once invoked Quine’s Indeterminacy of Translation Thesis in an argument about anime subtitles. Likes baseball.
- Xeniera (QDB): Bishie musician. A “Fuckin’ Sister Fuck”. Can out-jargon Nitya on occasion. Tsundere for everyone.
Frequent niche subjects of conversation
- Twin Peaks being the perennial favorite, of course
- Children’s card games and picture books
- Music of various genres
- But much of the time it’s anime music
- Video games
- Whether you are my nakama